Saturday, March 15, 2014

How to get the Japanese Scholarship (Monbukagakusho): Panel Interview



The third stage of the Research Student Scholarship application process is the panel interview. It is held a week or two after the written exam. My panel was composed of six people. They sat around a small table right across me. Half of them were Filipino and half were Japanese. They were all very friendly throughout the interview. No one lashed at me, growled at me or grilled me with intriguing questions. I was surprised at how small the interview room was, how close the panel was to me and how nice and all-smiles they were. This setting made me a little more nervous.

japanese government scholarship screening process tipsI love interviews. I enjoy talking to people about random things. I never get nervous during interviews. Well, I do, before the interviews. I would hear my heart doki doki inside me. But as soon as I am settled on my seat and the interviewer starts asking questions I usually become more at ease. Well, not on this interview, at least.

You know that feeling when you really, really want something that you can’t explain why, you just feel it. That’s what this scholarship is for me. This is what Japan is for me. There are no exact words why I want to go there, it’s just that I know I have to be there!

Unlike my other previous posts, I won't be giving some definite pointers on this post because honestly, nothing can prepare you for your interview. It would help you if you know a little about how the process goes so you would have a picture of what to expect when your turn comes. I would just like to share my experiences during the panel interview and how things transpired. 

I guess, it would be helpful if you review your proposal beforehand because it is a surefire that the panel will ask about it. Show them that you know what you are talking about and you have a clear picture of what you want to do in Japan. If it pleases you or if it eases your nervousness a few days before the interview, you can anticipate some possible questions and practice answering them. I did this because I don’t want to feel too lax about the interview. But honestly, it didn’t help much. When you’re there in the middle of the interview, you wouldn’t even remember a thing you practiced! But it pays to have these answers stocked at the back of your mind just in case they come in handy. As I said in another post, there are a lot of surprises in the application period, especially in the panel interview. Some questions that you don’t expect to come out, come out, and some questions you feel would likely come out, don't come out.

One of the moments wherein I was caught off handed during the interview was when one panel member asked me: Why do you want to study in Japan? This is a question I keep on hearing, I keep on practicing to answer, but I keep on failing. One of the panel members told me that if I have a stable career in my country, why would I want to go to Japan where I don’t speak the language. No one will listen to me, he said. I know he’s right. This is where my Ms. Universe answer comes out, “Everyone is entitled to a new beginning. And I am ready to face whatever it takes,” I said. It’s not a practical answer, too cheesy, too rhetorical, but I guess it worked because here I am in Japan now.

But seriously, I was in the verge of tears at that time. I felt pressured to answer correctly. I don’t want to make mistakes. I felt pressured to express myself correctly. I don’t want to give a wrong impression. The moment I came out of the interview room, I felt like I failed in both of them. But thank God, I was wrong. 

The next stage of the process is securing a certificate of admission from your desired university which can be read here How to Get the Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbukagakusho): Securing a Certificate of Admission

No comments:

Post a Comment